Meet online with a Python teacher as a group, twice a week
Learning to code is all the rage, but it's also a huge challenge both intellectually and motivationally. Our virtual classrooms provide live, hands-on mentorship without costing a fortune like developer bootcamps.
This introduction to Python course will follow the excellent book, Learn Python the Hard Way. Twice a week, we will meet up as a group for live lectures, general Q&A, and problem sets.
- The Basics: syntax, variables, and IO
- Functions: building blocks of a program
- Functions (Review + Advanced Concepts)
- Control Flow Basics
- Lists and Loops
- Advanced Data Structures and Control Flows (Continued)
- Advanced Data Structures Review
- Intro to Object Oriented Programming
- Object Oriented Programming (Continued)
- How many hours per week of work is required?
- To actually learn to program from these courses, you will need to put in roughly 7-10 hours per week. That will include the 2-4 hours per week of group class time and private instruction (depending on the course). Expect to do 3-5 hours per week of coding on your own.
- Am I the right skill level for this course?
- This course is geared for beginner students. Beginner courses assume zero prior knowledge and are meant for true novices (i.e. not a coder that wants to pick up a new language). Intermediate classes assume previous coding experience. Before you take an intermediate course, check out our intro to Python course for beginners and confirm that the general concepts are familiar (even if you know of them through other languages).
- Are there any technology requirements?
- EngineHere uses newer video technologies that depend on modern browsers. You will need to have Chrome or Firefox installed to participate in classes.You should also have video and audio installed on your computer (you're fine if Skype or Google Hangouts work for you).
- Why is the course limited to 20 students?
- Each class is conducted live between an instructor and a group of students. Student participation is a crucial part of the experience, so it is important that we limit the overall group size to a manageable number.
- What is the refund policy?
- This course is fully refundable up to 7 days after the first class session. Because space in the course is limited, we kindly ask that you try to limit refund requests to situations the course material is too advanced or basic for you, or something unexpected pops up in life or work.
- What happens if I miss a class? Are they recorded?
- Classes are recorded for playback. As a member of the class, you will have unlimited access to them for as long as the course is available on this website.
Prior to founding EngineHere, Ben spent the last couple of years as a full-stack web developer. He has built everything from recommendation engines to designing sign up flows on the front end.
Ben learned to program years before the current coding revolution. He relied on a combination of books and Google, though he wishes he had access to a mentor in those days to accelerate the process.